Friday, April 12, 2019

I Live with You


        This week’s reading made me feel a little unsettled, yet intrigued. Even after reading it twice, I still almost feel like I’m missing something. Needless to say, this work definitively does not reflect what people would generally consider “traditional” sci-fi. It is an unconventional fiction in every sense, which is not a bad thing at all. I found it to be very refreshing; and the style in which it was written was unique and interesting, but not so alien to me that I would get confused. I enjoyed reading it a lot.
I like how the author isn’t bound by the constraints of what Sci-Fi stories generally cover, and she chooses instead to tell stories that are “weird” in a different kind of way. She uses such chilling, almost painfully realistic observations about life through the most simple descriptors and sentences. One that struck me while reading was "people never notice when things are cleaner, only when they are dirtier." I felt like this story was about fragmented people who search for wholeness or reconciliation in their lives. They want to be seen and heard to be able to connect. Although, I still feel like I should read it a few more times to be able to fully grasp its meaning. Or, I might never be able to understand it fully, who knows? It was definitively an interesting story that will probably stay on my subconscious for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment